WMS integration guides
You can observe the Sentinel-2 data either within our cloud GIS application, Geopedia, or through your favorite GIS application using WMS. The following section takes you through examples on how to configure Sentinel Hub WMS in QGIS and ArcGIS.
How to configure WMS in QGIS
- Open QGIS and go to on Layer ‣ ADD Layer ‣ Add WMS Layer.
- In the Layers tab, click on New.
- Enter connection details, use Sentinel WMS url "<WMS URL>" (contact us to get access; for topographic maps you can use one of the OpenStreetMap services, such as http://ows.terrestris.de/osm/service)
- Next, click on the Connect button to fetch the list of available layers.
- In the Image encoding section, you need to choose an image format.
- For imagery layers, JPEG is usually a good choice. Change the Layer name if you wish and click Add.
- Set the desirable Coordinate Reference System. For this tutorial choose WGS84 / Pseudo Mercator. Sentinel WMS service currently operating in the popular web mercator coordinate space (EPSG:3857), with the 13 Sentinel-2 bands available as "B01" through "B12" (with "B8A" following "B08") layers.
- You will see the Sentinel layer loaded in the QGIS canvas. If the layer is not visible at the current map scale, zoom in to increase the scale of the map - the visualisation is limited on the lower level (cca 1:800.000) and on the upper level (resolution of the Sentinel-2 satellite).
How to configure WMS in ArcMap 10.4.1
- Open ArcMap.
- Click on the Add Data icon.
- Add data dialog opens. From dropdown list in the field Look in select GIS servers. From the list of various GIS servers types select Add WMS server. And click on the Add button.
- Add WMS server dialog opens. Copy our URL, which was sent to you, in the field “URL”. If URL is
valid, the button Get Layers activates. Click on it and the list of all layers available in our WMS
shall be displayed in the window below the button. Click OK.
- Add WMS Server dialog closes. Our WMS shall now appear in the list of GIS servers. The icon next
to it shall not have red cross. Select our WMS in the list and click on the Add button.
- Select our WMS again and click on the Add button.
- All Sentinel layers available in our WMS shall be added to list of Layers in ArcMap. The content is not
visible if the scale of the map is too small.
- Turn off all but one layer by unchecking the check boxes next to them. Zoom in to the area of
interest. Sentinel images shall now be visible.
How to configure WCS in ArcMap 10.4.1
- Open ArcMap.
- Click on the Add Data icon.
- Add data dialog opens. From dropdown list in the field Look in select GIS servers. From the list of various GIS servers types select Add WCS server. And click on the Add button.
- Add WCS Server dialog opens. Choose version 1.0 and copy our URL, which was sent to you, in the field URL. If URL is valid, the button Get Coverages activates. Click on it and the list of all layers available in our WCS will be displayed in the window below the button. Click OK.
- Add WCS Server dialog closes. Our WCS shall now appear in the list of GIS servers. If the connection is not established successfully, its will be indicated with red cross on its icon. In this case, the previous steps shall be repeated. Select our WCS in the list and click on the Add button.
- The list of layers available via WCS appears in the Add data dialog. Select layers to be added to the map and click on the Add button.
- All Sentinel layers available in our WCS shall be added to list of Layers in ArcMap. The content is not visible if the scale of the map is too small.
- Zoom in to the area of interest. Sentinel images shall now be visible.
- Identify function can be used to get the values of layers for selected pixel. Appearance of each layer can also be edited by defining its symbology as usual in ArcMap. Double click on the layer to open Layer properties dialog. Click Symbology tab and input appropriate settings. Click Ok.
- Layer properties dialog closes and layer is displayed with customized symbology.
Web app integration
Do you want to develop an app based on Sentinel-2 data? We have released Sentinel Playground application under open-source license in order to ease the integration of Sentinel WMS services in end-user applications.
One simply takes the application, inserts Sentinel Hub credentials (send us an e-mail for test account) and modifies the app to fit him best. The application itself is based on OGC standard web services so it can be used with other sources as well, not just with Sentinel Hub.
How to integrade Sentinel Hub with Geoserver
- Creating WMS instance
Create a new WMS instance. There is no need to limit the area.
Resulting WMS is:
- Adding new WMS store in Geolayer
Go to Data ‣ Stores
Add new store.
Go to Other data sources ‣ WMS.
- Fill data
Type Sentinel Hub WMS In the WMS Source name input field.
In the Capabilities URL field type http://services.sentinel-hub.com/v1/wms/<KEY>=GetCapabilities
You can leave Username and password fields empty.
- Publish layers from the WMS
Click “Publish” right of NDVI layer.
In “Edit Layer” dialogue you can change the bounding boxes to reflect the farm bounding box (only Lat/lon bounding box) - this will limit visualisation to only selected area. No other changes are needed.
- Publish other layers
Go to Data ‣ Layers.
Click “Add new resource”.
Select “Add layer from” “Sentinel Hub WMS”.
Publish other relevant layers in line with previous points.
- Preview data
Go to Data ‣ Layer Preview.
Geoserver caches the WMS configuration (Capabilities). Therefore it is recommended to finish configuration before adding it to the store. Some further hints on how to work around this are here: http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/18065/how-do-i-make-geoserver-upd....